Peppered stewed snail recipe
Peppered Snail is one of Nigeria’s awesome dish. Usually served as an appetizer.
Snails have been found to have a higher protein and iron content, and lower fat content, than beef, as well as containing many essential nutrients such as calcium, magnesium and vitamin. It also contains Iron which are essential for building red blood cells and carrying energy around the body.
A lack of iron can lead to extreme fatigue and anaemia, which makes it very good for pregnant and nursing mothers.
Peppered Snail is one of Nigeria’s awesome dish.
Usually served as an appetizer. It is a very common menu in restaurants, social gatherings and parties.
1 hour 45 minutes
Frying and saucing
Snails ( 4 large snails)
4 habanero peppers (or to your taste)
5 tomatoes(Optional but if you don’t want to use tomatoes at all, then you would be needing more pepper which would make your snail a lot more spicy hot- it all depends on your choice)
1 cooking spoon vegetable oil
I teaspoonful of curry powder
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of ginger powder
1 stock cube
1. Break the shells of the snails with firm stone and clean out the snail slime using lemon, lime, salt or alum
2. Cut onion(into half) and peppers into tiny pieces. If you’re using tomatoes, squeeze the water from the tomatoes and set aside.
3. Blend the tomatoes, onions and the pepper, pour into another pot and start cooking on medium heat until the water dries up.
4. Put snails in a pot with some water. Add salt, seasoning cube, garlic, ginger, some chopped onion and cook until soft, then drain from the stock and set aside.
5. Heat a pan of oil and fry the snails for just a bit. Set aside.
6. Heat pan of oil again and pour in the rest of the onions. Sauté till translucent.
7. Add the pepper and tomatoes paste. Fry for 2 minutes then add salt, seasoning, some ginger, garlic and curry powder.
Add the hot fried snail and continue stir frying for 1 minute.
Leave to marinate for 5, minutes, stir and turn off heat.
Your peppered snails 🐌 is ready! Serve and enjoy….